Road Commissioner

Deputy Trainque


Town Clerk


code and ordinances

land and real estate

meeting minutes


Town History

Waste Disposal

Events Calendar

Building Code and Ordinances

Relevant Documents

charts and ordinaces open on a separate window
Road Commissioner Ordinance, Limington Youth League Ordinance.

Building Code Information

Department of Code Enforcement
Tel: 637-3566 Fax: 637-3293 Cell: 608-2544
Norman Hutchins, Code Enforcement Officer


Mondays 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Floating and 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. in Office hours
Tuesdays 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. in Office hours and 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Floating

The Code Enforcement Officer is responsible for the administration of various Town codes, primarily dealing with building and land development The following permits/services are handled through the Code Office.

Growth Permits

A growth permit is required for all new dwelling units before a building permit can be issued. Applications here or at the CEO's office.

Building Permits

A building permit is required for construction, demolition, remodeling, or structural alterations of a building. Permit fees are posted later in this section

Plumbing Permits

Plumbing permits are required for all new and relocated internal plumbing. Direct replacement of fixtures without weeding to relocate or alter piping does not require a permit. Permit fees are $10/fixture, with a $40 minimum permit fee. Some projects also require a hookup fee, as applicable. Plumbing permits are required for installation of septic systems or parts thereof, and for altering leach fields. Septic permit fees are per the State Plumbing Code and are predicated on the reviews needed to approve the application. Call for details.

Electrical Permits

Permits are required for all new serviced and all new electrical work including rewiring/electrical renovation work. Permit fees, are $25 - $55.

Sign Permits

Sign permits are required for the placement of permanent regulated signs. Sign size and placement restrictions are detailed in the Sign Ordinance. The permit fee is $25/installation.

Flood Hazard Area Development Permits

Development in the flood plain requires Planning Board approval and a Flood Permit prior to the issuance of applicable construction permits and the project must meet State specifications The Flood Permit fee is $50.

Fill Permits

Filling or "making land" requires a Fill Permit if the activity involves deposition of over 30 cubic yards of material. These projects typically also require Planning Board Review. The Fill Permit fee is $25.

Zoning Administrator

The Code Officer handles all zoning issues and is the public's liaison to the Planning Board and Board of Appeals. Some projects require Planning Board approval prior to the issuance of construction permits The Code Officer is the contact person for these approvals.

Codes In Effect in Limington

The Town's building code is the 2003 edition of the International Building Code and International Residential Code with local amendments. Copies of the amendments are available at the Code Office. The following codes are in effect Statewide. Other codes (such as mechanical energy, etc.) are in effect statewide and locally by reference. Call for details.

Below are listed codes in effect in Limington and how to get copies

International Building Code and 2009 edition

International Residential Code 2009 edition

Maine State Plumbing Code

Plumbers Examining Board
State House Station 35
Augusta, ME 04333-0035

National Electrical Code
2011 edition locally, 2014 edition Statewide

National Fire Protection Association
1 Batterymarch Park
PO Box 9101
Quincy, MA 02269-9101

NFPA 101 / Life Safety Code
(The 1985 edition is in effect locally, the 2009 edition is used Statewide.)
NFPA 1-800-344-3555

Limington Land Use Zoning Ordinance
Town Clerk's Office
Town of Limington
PO Box 240
Limington ME 04049

State Energy Conservation Requirements

Maine Department of Environmental Protection
Canco Road
South Portland ME 04106


With some specific exceptions involving a homeowner doing his/her own work at his/her own home, plumbing, electrical, heating, can only be done by properly licensed parties.


All permitted work must be inspected. Inspections must be arranged at least 24 hours in advance for an appointment.